Friday, July 16, 2004

My First Experience with Religious Fervor

Ever heard of Our Lady of Mount Carmel?  I sure hadn't until today, when I went to her festival in Spanish Harlem.  It was an interesting cultural experience for me and I didn't have to go very far to witness it.  First there was a parade with an all white marching band leading the way.  Next came the float and on board was  a statue of Our Lady of Mount Carmel holding an infant in her arms.  Surrounding the statue and following behind in the hundreds was a mostly black crowd with a few Caucasians singing hymns in French.  It seemed like something out of The Serpent and The Rainbow
The parade zig zagged through the streets for a few hours, everytime I thought it was over, it started up again.  Finally it stopped in front of a church. 
"Their going to take the statue down, surround the float, hold the people back"   
What does that mean? I thought to myself...
Soon enough I found out as hundreds of people in a religious frenzy tried to bum rush the statue.  Once the statue got into the church the religious fervor was peaking.  The pews were packed with people, blacks and white Italians, tears streaming down their faces, many hoping to touch the statue.  We had to push people back to keep the aisle cleared as they carried the statue to the alter. 

Anyone else have an experience with the power of religion?







<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?