Saturday, July 24, 2004

"They’ll be talking about this war for a thousand years"
 
I finally saw the movie Troy.  Maybe because I had low expectations going in, I left the theater very satisfied.   For me the Illiad is probably the greatest tale ever told.  I read it 14 years ago but it still vividly stick out in my memory.  Meanwhile I barely remember many books I read just a year ago.  Because I'm a fan of the original written epic, I  was reluctant to go see Troy when it didn't receive raving reviews.
Troy doesn't retell the story of the Illiad very closely and in the closing credits it says it was only "inspired by the Illiad".   It was still really cool to see the character of the Illiad come to life.

I liked how the Glory theme was pervasive throughout the film from the opening monologue to the closing monologue.  It made me think about what it means to be a "Hero".  Achilles and Hector were two different kinds of hero.  Glory and self pride meant everything to Achilles, it motivated him throughout the film.  Glory was not a factor for Hector; he fought for love, loyalty, and country.
 
It was pretty depressing when Hector died and Troy burned.  For some reason I root for the Trojans over the Greeks.
Is it Odysseus that does the opening and closing monologue?
 






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?